By 1892 the membership had risen to 32, and amongst the members was Mr. W. H. Herbert, donor of the "Herbert Cup". The Club was described as".... a very successful Club" drawing members from Gloucester City and District as well as from the Painswick area. The first competition held was the Spring Foursomes which was played on April 7th/8th, 1893. Just before this Mr. James Bishop had been appointed as the first green keeper. It is worth noting that in the first year of competitions only two scores of less than 100 were returned (both by Mr. E. P. Little); the highest recorded score was the 179 of Miss Collins. Handicaps ranged from 5-Mr. E. P. Little to 50- Miss Fawcett.
Last Years of the 19th Century
pgc-hc-08002002.jpg
PAINSWICK
GOLF CLUB
HOME
ABOUT US
GOLFING EVENTS
SOCIAL EVENTS
FACILITIES
COURSE INFORMATION
MEMBERS
VISITORS
CONTACT US
Introduction
Bronze Age Hill Fort
Latter 19th Century
Kings, Lords & Abbots
A Golfer's Point of View
20th Century Development
New Building
Development of the Club